I first had this dish when my dad made it for me. He was looking for a vegan dish that everyone in the family might enjoy, and this arugula pesto certainly is a crowd-pleaser. My dad found the recipe on the Food Network website. Whenever we get a nice bunch of arugula, this is the top item on our menu. I especially love that there are no processed oils in this satisfying pesto.
I prefer whole wheat pasta. You can, of course, make this dish gluten-free by using your favorite gluten-free pasta.
- Food processor
- 1 pound pasta any type
- 2 avocados medium: halved, seeded, and flesh scooped out
- 3 cups baby arugula 3 ounces
- 1 cup fresh basil packed
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice from 2 large limes
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup almonds sliced or chopped, toasted in a dry frying pan until golden, then cooled
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While the water heats, mix avocado, arugula, basil, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain but reserve about ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pan (no heat). Stir in the arugula/avocado mixture, adding just enough of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce.
- Stir in the almonds or sprinkle them on top of each plate. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate and review, which helps others find the recipe.
Post your photo to Instagram and tag @singingvegan and hashtag #singingvegan.
Share this post!