Today is Father’s Day in Guatemala, and tomorrow is my dad’s 80th birthday. I decided to make a pizza to kick off our weekend of celebrations, and the result was the best pizza I’ve ever made. Ever. My omnivore dad and my almost-vegan husband agreed that it was spectacular.
I’ve tried all kinds of vegan cheese toppings for pizza. They’ve been okay, but recently I’ve experimented with a moxarella based on my homemade almond milk. Not only is this moxarella amazingly fast and easy to make, it’s the most versatile vegan cheese ever. I’m seriously addicted to this stuff.
The crust was also perfect. I used to use a regular bread dough for the crust, but to get it crispy I had to over-bake it, which made it tough. This Cornmeal Pizza Crust recipe gives the perfect combination of tender and crunchy.
I threw together a quick sauce and cooked up some of my favorite toppings. The result was absolutely incredible! The crust and cheese will work great with any toppings.
Oh, and I have a wonderful pizza stone, and the directions are for making the pizza with the stone. I’m sure you can get great results with a regular baking pan, but the stone is worth the investment! One of the secrets is to preheat the pizza stone while the oven preheats. If you put the crust in the oven and the stone isn’t preheated, the crust is much more likely to stick and the stone could break.
My Best Vegan Pizza
- Pizza stone or baking sheet
For the quick sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes softened
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the toppings
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 portobello mushrooms stemmed, gills removed, and sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 vegan sausage sliced
- Prepare the pizza dough. Allow about 1.5 hours for it to rise. While it’s rising, put together the rest of the ingredients.
- Make the sauce. Set aside to keep warm.
- Prepare the toppings. I like my topping pre-cooked.
- Roll out the pizza dough to fit the stone or pan. Fold over the edges to make a crust. Allow the dough to rest while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F with the pizza stone in the oven.
- When the oven is hot, pull the stone out and carefully set the crust on the hot stone. Prick the surface of the crust with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the vegan mozzarella.
- Pull the crust out of the oven. Spread the sauce evenly over the crust. Distribute the toppings over the sauce. Pour/spread/glop the mozzarella over the toppings.
- Bake for 10 minutes more, until the crust is golden brown.
- Turn the oven to broil and keep the pizza under the broiler for a couple minutes.
- Put the finished pizza on a large cutting board and slice into eight pieces.
- Prepare to enter Pizza Nirvana.
Quick Pizza Sauce
- Put the following into a blender: Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a sauce pan and simmer about 10 minutes, or until thick.
Favorite Pizza Toppings
- In a non-stick pan, cook the onions for about 5 minutes. Add the portobellos and cook until they start to brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the jalapeño, garlic, and sliced sausage and continue cooking gently for a couple more minutes. Set aside until you're ready to assemble your pizza.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate and review, which helps others find the recipe.
Post your photo to Instagram and tag @singingvegan and hashtag #singingvegan.
Share this post!