Silly name? Maybe so, but that’s what everyone who tries them agrees they are.
I was looking for a recipe that could incorporate the delicious cacao made here at Lake Atitlan. I found one at joyoushealth.ca and modified it for my guests.
For more information about the cacao I use, please see Ceremonial Cacao, the site of the “Chocolate Shaman.”
Cacao (often sold as “raw” cacao) is unsweetened. The dates give both texture and sweetness.
- 1 cup raw nuts (such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, or a combination)
- 12 pitted dates
- 1/4 cup cacao, chopped fine (you can use cacao nibs)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener (agave or maple syrup are great)
- Place all ingredients except sweetener in a food processor and process for a minute or two, until all ingredients are combined and has a texture of small pebbles.
- Add sweetener and process just enough to combine. The mixture should hold together and not be too sticky.
- Roll into 1″ balls.
I like to make these in advance and refrigerate. Take them out about 1/2 hour before serving and sprinkle with a little cinnamon and cardamom before serving.
Share this post!