I’ve been on a cheesy sauce kick lately. Remember that potato carrot cheese sauce that everyone seemed to be posting about a few years ago? If you don’t remember, this sauce was everywhere on vegan blogs and Facebook groups. I, of course, have my own version.
I’ve been making this sauce a lot, this time around using the Instant Pot for an incredibly fast, healthy, delicious, and cheesy addition to a variety of meals.
This time I took the basic sauce recipe and cooked it with broccoli. Oh. My. It’s so much better than the gooey broccoli cheese soups I made in the old days, and it’s so satisfying.
- Instant Pot
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium white potatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- ¼ cup raw cashew or macadamia nuts
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups broccoli florets about 1 large crown
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dry saute the onion and until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for about 1 minute more, until very fragrant.
- Blend the miso paste and water until thoroughly mixed to form a broth.
- Add the miso broth to the sautéed onion and garlic and stir in the potato, carrot, broccoli, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, salt, nutritional yeast, and nuts. If cooking on a stove top, you may need to add a bit more water to just cover the vegetables.
- If cooking on a stove top, raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. If using an Instant Pot, use the manual setting to set the time for 6 minutes. Release the pressure when the 6 minutes are up.
- Use a stick blender or work in batches with a regular blender to blend until super smooth. Remove from heat, stir in the vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Share this post!