When a family with two children stayed at Lake Villa Guatemala a few years ago, they asked for pancakes for breakfast. At that point I hadn’t experimented with vegan pancakes, and I wanted something that was fast and easy. I found a recipe for 5 Minute Vegan Pancakes on food.com, and started playing. These are the fastest, easiest vegan pancakes you’ll find, and they taste amazing! They’re super fluffy due to the amount of baking powder, but will be denser if you use whole wheat flour as I do.
While you can mix these by hand, I make mine in the blender. They’re easy to pour into the pan, and clean-up is a breeze. Just be gentle with the batter and pulse it only enough to mix the ingredients–don’t over-blend!
One of the secrets to great pancakes is getting the pan the right temperature. I start with medium heat and test a single pancake before making the whole batch. The type of pan you use will require you to adjust the heat: a cast iron pan holds heat much better than a thin non-stick pan. I like to use the non-stick pan for this recipe.
While most people like maple syrup as a topping, I don’t like that much sweetness. Yes, I put peanut butter on my pancakes. Yummmm.
This recipe serves only 2 people. Really.
- 1 cup flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour, but use whatever you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon baking powder (yes, that’s tablespoons)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together.
- Stir the non-dairy milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract together.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
- Pour one pancake’s worth of batter into the hot pan. Wait until the surface is bubbly and the edges are slightly dry, then gently flip the pancake. Cook for a couple minutes, or until the bottom is golden.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve with maple syrup or your favorite topping.
Share this post!