Here is one of my favorite meals: a veggie fried rice that is completely oil-free. Dishes like this are my solution for quickly normalizing my weight if I’ve been indulging in too much guacamole, too many nuts, or vegan cookies.
I make big batch of brown rice, so I have some in the fridge to make meals like this quick and easy. The recipe adapts to your favorite veggies. Don’t like mushrooms? Just leave them out. Prefer white rice? No worries–use what you like. I use fresh veggies, but if you don’t have time to shop or chop, frozen veggies are fine.
This recipe is also gluten-free if you use a gluten-free soy sauce.
Though you don’t need a non-stick pan to successfully cook without oil, it can make life easier. I have a set of ceramic coated pans, similar to this one from Tramontina, that I like. They’re environmentally friendly and easy to clean. I also love my enameled cast iron casserole from Lodge.
This recipe serves one hungry person, but if you’re not as big an eater as I am, you can share it. It doubles easily too.
Oil Free Veggie Fried Rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms sliced (about a dozen)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or use tamari, or Bragg’s amigos
- 3 cups broccoli chopped–or use a mix of vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash, and snow peas)
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Steam the veggies until tender-crisp. Don’t overcook. You can do this while the onion and mushrooms are cooking.
- Place onions and mushrooms in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until they start to brown, stirring frequently.
- Add soy sauce to the onions and stir to deglaze the pan. The brown bits give extra flavor.
- Add the rice and steamed veggies to the pan and stir until everything is hot.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate and review, which helps others find the recipe.
Post your photo to Instagram and tag @singingvegan and hashtag #singingvegan.
Share this post!