We are fortunate to have incredibly good, locally made tofu at Lake Atitlan. One of our favorite, quick tofu meals is this vegan version of popcorn chicken. While there are many recipes for vegan versions of this dish, this one has a perfect combination of spices and can be ready in minutes.
The tofu from our local factory is very firm. In the past I never bothered to press it to remove excess water, but I’ve recently become a convert. What changed my mind? This great tofu press.
The real secret to this recipe is getting the batter the right consistency. It should be like a thick pancake batter, or it won’t stick to the tofu. A good nonstick pan also makes all the difference: I use a ceramic coated pan similar to these.
Serve the tofu over rice with your favorite sauce, like my Sweet Spicy Sriracha Sauce.
Popcorn Chicken Style Tofu
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp Herbs d’Provence
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk or more if needed
- 1 lb extra firm tofu pressed if you can
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour, yeast, and spices.
- Mix mustard, oil, and almond milk together, then add to the dry ingredients. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more almond milk.
- Tear the tofu into rough chunks, about two inches square. Put the tofu chunks into the batter and gently mix to coat the tofu with the batter.
- Fry the tofu in a non-stick pan until it is brown and crisp.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate and review, which helps others find the recipe.
Post your photo to Instagram and tag @singingvegan and hashtag #singingvegan.
Share this post!