I admit, I resisted jumping on the the potato-carrot-cheese-sauce bandwagon. I’ve tried every kind of homemade cheeze sauce–squash, cauliflower, and the trusty cashew. I’ve made semi-soft almond cheeze and faux brie and smokey cheddar. Some of them are pretty good but, I now have to admit, nothing has the versatility and yumminess of the potato carrot sauce.
I resisted the recipes I saw for several reasons. Many call for instant mashed potatoes, which I don’t use. Some claimed that only russet potatoes, which aren’t common in our markets, could be used or the sauce would fail.
Then I saw a graphic showing how simple the sauce is to make, so we gave it a try. Something was missing, though: a bit of sharpness or tang. A touch of vinegar solved that.
We tried the sauce on pizza, on vegetables, on pasta, and on nachos. It was a resounding success.
And it’s so easy.
Since I first posted this recipe, I’ve change the method I use to make it, using the InstantPot. The sauce that was easy before is now super easy.
This recipe makes about 4 cups (8 servings).
Potato Carrot Cheese Sauce
- 4 potatoes chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 carrot chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cashews raw–or macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Optional seasonings red pepper flakes for nachos, Italian seasoning for pizza, or a couple drops of liquid smoke
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil for two minutes.
- Add the carrots. Boil for five more minutes.
- Add the onion. Boil for seven more minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Place the boiled vegetables in the blender. Add one cup of the boiling liquid, onion powder, garlic powder, cashews,salt, nutritional yeast, and apple cider vinegar.
- Blend on high speed, adding the liquid a little at a time until the sauce is smooth.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Place all ingredients except the vinegar and final (optional) seasonings in the InstantPot and stir to mix.
- Use the manual setting and set the time to 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Allow the cooked ingredients to cool about 10 minutes.
- Place everything in a blender, add the vinegar, and blend until smooth and creamy.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate and review, which helps others find the recipe.
Post your photo to Instagram and tag @singingvegan and hashtag #singingvegan.
Share this post!