This scrumptious dish works as a main course or a side dish. It has a Greek-inspired flavor with the oregano and lemon, and the chickpeas make the dish hearty and satisfying. If you want a lighter dish, you can omit the chickpeas.
As with any roasted vegetable dish, it’s best to make a single layer in a baking dish for roasting so the cauliflower cooks evenly. You also want you cauliflower florets to be as evenly sized as possible.
This dish uses more olive oil than most of my dishes. A little extra oil makes a huge difference in giving the cauliflower a nice crispy outside.
The tahini sauce is great on all kinds of vegetables and as a salad dressing. Double the sauce ingredients and use the rest for another dish.
Roasted Cauliflower with Chickpeas and Tahini Sauce
- 1 head cauliflower Broken into evenly-sized florets. About 6 cups.
- 1.5 cups chickpeas cooked, or one 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh is best, but bottled will work
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice fresh is best
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cumin
- 4 tbsp water more if needed
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place the cauliflower and chickpeas in a large bowl. If you've just washed the cauliflower, pat it dry first to remove any excess moisture.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Pour the olive oil mixture over the cauliflower and chickpeas. Stir to thoroughtly coat the cauliflower.
- Spread the mixture in a baking dish or sheet with sides so the cauliflower is only one layer deep. Use two pans if necessary.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. You want the cauliflower to be tender but still have some resistance to a fork.
- While the cauliflower roasts, blend or whisk together the tahini sauce ingredients. Use enough water to make the sauce pourable, but not too thin.
- When the cauliflower is tender, plate the cauliflower and chickpeas in equal servings and pour the tahini sauce over the top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Share this post!