I’m a bit of a soup junky. I make soup several times a week: sometimes hot, sometimes cold, but always flavorful and satisfying. You may have seen my recipes for Creamy Curried Cauliflower Potato Soup, Creamy Tomato Soup, and Gazpacho. This time, we’re going green!
This soup is a powerhouse of nutrition. Tons of greens and plant-based protein! It cooks quickly (especially if you use an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker) or is amazing in a slow cooker or on the stove.
I like my soups thick and creamy. If you want a chunkier soup, you can leave it unblended or partially blended.
I garnished this soup with cilantro because… cilantro! If you don’t like cilantro, try another herb, such as basil. Diced tomato would also be lovely.
Super Green Soup!
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup white wine or use rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head broccoli chopped
- 1 lb green peas
- 1/2 lb spinach leaves
- 1 lb white potatoes chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Cilantro for garnish optional
- In an Instant Pot or stock pot, dry sauté the onion until soft and slightly brown, deglazing the pan with the white wine. (If you’re cooking the soup in a slow cooker, sauté the onions and add the garlic in a pan on the stove.)
- Before the white wine completely evaporates, add the garlic and cook one minute or so, until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli, peas, spinach, and potatoes to the pot.
- Add enough vegetable broth to just cover the vegetables.
- In the Instant Pot, use the Soup setting for 30 minutes. On the stove top, bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are quite tender.
- When the vegetables are tender, serve as is or blend in a blender until thick and creamy (about a minute on high speed).
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. I also like to add some hot sauce (Sriracha, anyone?!) and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Share this post!