I suppose most vegan cooks have tried some version of an eggplant and garbanzo dish. I’ve tried several over the years, but today I finally have a winner!
I started with a recipe on The Blooming Platter of Vegan Recipes. I wasn’t familiar with the site: it came up in my eggplant and garbanzo search. The recipe wasn’t quite what I wanted, and I wound up changing spices a bit and adding more liquid. I did, however, make the olive pesto on the same page. Just a little bit adds a big burst of flavor to the dish. Yummy!!
These days, my goal with the dishes I make these days is to pass the “dad test.” My dad has always been a big meat and cheese eater: now that he’s living with me, I’m showing him how delicious vegan can be. This rich combination of textures and flavors passed the dad test with flying colors.
I served this over brown rice, but any whole grain will do just fine. Try it over quinoa or barley! For extra nutrition, stir in 2-3 cups chopped vegetables in step 4, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Vegan Moroccan Eggplant and Garbanzos
- 2 tablespoons oil divided (optional)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 eggplant peeled and cut into 1″ cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup tomatoes pureed, about 4 medium plum tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth miso broth works great
- 1/4 cup wine or more broth
- 2 cups garbanzos cooked
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili powder chipotle if you have it
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime zest from one small lime, about 2 tsp
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped, fresh
- If using oil, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and saute onion until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Otherwise, dry-saute the onion in a nonstick pan.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil (if using), stir, and then add the eggplant. Saute, stirring frequently, until the eggplant softens and browns a little, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato, garlic, and bell pepper. Continue cooking and stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, wine, garbanzos, spices, and agave. Stir and allow to simmer about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the lime zest and cilantro.
Did you make this recipe? Please rate and review, which helps others find the recipe.
Post your photo to Instagram and tag @singingvegan and hashtag #singingvegan.
Share this post!